Preparation Time: 40 Minutes
- 3 tsp olive oil
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- ½ small red capsicum, cut into strips
- ½ garlic clove, finely chopped
- 120g lean beef strips
- 1 tsp salt reduced tomato paste
- ½ cup canned tomatoes
- Fresh oregano and parsley to taste, leaves picked
- 2/3 cup cooked brown rice
- In a non-stick frying pan, heat the olive oil over a low to medium heat and add the capsicum and the red onion. Cook until softened and lightly browned, approximately 5-8 minutes.
- Add the beef strips, garlic and oregano if using, and cook until the beef has browned through, approximately 4-5 minutes, depending on the size of the strips.
- Stir in the tomato paste, cook for a minute, then add the canned tomatoes along with ¼ cup water. Cover and simmer over a low heat for 25-30 minutes, checking halfway through and adding more water if the mixture becomes a little dry. Meanwhile, cook the rice according to packet instructions.
- Stir the parsley through the Mediterranean beef mixture and then serve accompanied with the rice.
Dietitian Tip: Why not try a vegetarian option – swap the beef for 1 cup of black beans
Grocery Serves Per Serve: 3 fat serves, 3 vegetable serves, 3 meat serves, 2 grain serves, free foods serves
If you’re a Jenny Craig member, speak to your Coach about how you can incorporate this recipe into your plan.start your journey now