Learn how eating healthy to lose weight begins with being mindful
Mindful eating is a wonderful tactic to use on your weight loss journey. By eating intuitively you’ll enjoy your meals more and get better at listening to your body’s hunger cues. If you make this a lifelong daily habit, you’ll find your mindful healthy eating plan immensely helpful in your weight loss journey and beyond.
Fourteen ways to eat mindfully
- Before you eat, check in with yourself. Are truly hungry – or simply emotional or bored?
- Don’t eat by the clock. Only eat if you feel genuinely hungry, not because it’s meal time.
- Take a moment to enjoy the delicious aroma of your food.
- Notice the colours of the food on your plate.
- In your mind (or out loud) thank yourself for your nutritious, healthy eating plan. Congratulate yourself for making a choice that nourishes your body.
- Recognize the food you’re eating, and enjoy the textures in your mouth. Pay attention to the smoothness of yoghurt or the crunch of celery.
- By avoiding distractions you can enhance your mindful eating experience. Don’t scroll on the phone, watch TV or work on your computer while eating.
- Make mindful eating fun by pretending you’re the nice judge on a TV cooking show. What do you like about the dish? Get specific about the flavours you’re enjoying. (If you’re eating with kids you can make a fun game of it.)
- Chew each bite of food thoroughly so it becomes almost a paste until you swallow (this is good for digestion).
- Consciously put your cutlery down between each bite. This helps you focus on the food you are currently eating.
- Take a drink of water between mouthfuls of your food.
- Practice mindful eating by noticing your stomach reacting to your meal. Are you starting to feel full? If so, stop. You can always finish the meal later if you’re hungry again.
- Think about all the people who contributed to your food. A farmer grew the produce, a Jenny Craig chef or nutritionist designed the healthy eating plan. Someone made the dinnerware and cutlery. Take a moment to appreciate them.
- If you don’t want to do this at every meal, choose a ‘mindful snack.’ Whenever you eat this snack item, do so mindfully.
Start your mindful journey and eating healthy to lose weight with Jenny Craig today.start your journey now