A healthy lunchbox is key when trying to reach your ideal weight. Check out our tips on how to make work lunches healthier and easier.
Here are our top tips for a healthy work lunchbox:
- If you’re on the program it’s all about organisation! Take a look at your menu at the start of the week and plan what you will be having at home and what you’ll need to take to work.
- Get yourself some containers and a cooler bag to transport your food in.
- Veggies, veggies, veggies! Pack a large container full of non starchy vegetables to have with your lunch. In the summer months this will usually be salad veggies topped with a delicious dressing (take a look at some of our salad dressing ideas below). Slice the veggies up at home and for maximum freshness, keep them in an airtight container, separate to the salad dressing. Try different types of veggies that you can combine to make a different salad each day :
- Salad leaves including baby spinach, rocket and iceberg lettuce
- Cherry tomatoes
- Sliced carrot
- Grated purple cabbage
- Sliced cucumber
- Sliced mushrooms
- Grated raw beetroot, or slices of canned beetroot
- Bean sprouts
- Sliced capsicum
- Sliced red onion
- Also pack a smaller container with cut up veggies such as carrot, celery and cucumber sticks to be able to munch on between meals. Get yourself some salsa to dip them in for an extra flavour hit. If your menu has allocated Fat serves, bring in some nut spread to have with your veggie sticks (1 tsp = 1 Fat serve).
- Fill a container with limited free fruits to have on hand if needed at work – berries and cut up melon can make a great sweet treat if you feel like you need something sweet after lunch. Or, why not set up your own personal fruit & veggie bowl at your desk space so you’ve got fresh fruit and veggies on hand when hunger hits!
- Make sure you have a water bottle – get some lemons and/or limes to squeeze in your water for a splash of flavour and keep your bottle filled on your desk throughout the day. If you’re out on the road all day, you can freeze a water bottle or two to keep your lunch cool, and for an ice cold drink to sip on throughout the day.
Super salad dressing ideas
Combine your favourite non starchy salad vegetables with one of these free dressing ideas. Keep in a small container at work to add to your salads:
- Balsamic vinegar and fresh flat leaf parsley
- Fresh lime juice, coriander and sliced fresh chilli
- Fresh lime juice and fresh mint leaves
- Lemon juice and fresh basil leaves
- White wine vinegar blended with wholegrain mustard
But again, following a healthy lifestyle is all about preparation. A little bit at the start of the week will keep you on track even if your motivation starts to wane.