We know how hard out can be to reach the recommended 10,000 steps each day, especially if you spend your time sitting at a desk at work. The World Health Organisation and the Australian Heart Foundation recommend taking 10,000 steps everyday as it can improve your health and cut down your risk of disease. Increasing your steps through walking is also a great way to relax and improve your energy levels and overall mood. To help get your body moving, we have 10 simple tips that can easily fit into your day, without any additional workouts.
1. If you take the bus, train or tram to work, get off a stop early – that extra walk between stops will instantly boost your steps.
2. Park further from your destination – not only will it be easier to find a parking spot, you’ll barely even notice the extra steps you’ve taken.
3. Activate your lunch – take 10 minutes to get out of the workplace for a quick lap around the block to stretch the legs and get some fresh air. An even better way to stay motivated is to start a walking club with your colleagues and enjoy getting out of the office with a group of friends.
4. Take the stairs – climbing the stairs is a great way to increase your heart rate and tone up those legs.
5. Walk and talk – stand and walk during phone calls.
6. Turn your chores into steps – when cleaning or doing housework really pick up your pace and move fast. Your floors will never look cleaner and the housework will be over before you know it!
7. Be the messenger – Instead of emailing or calling a colleague walk over to their desk to relay a message.
8. Set a reminder/alarm every hour to get up and take a quick stroll – it could just be to the kitchen at work or around the block.
9. Organise active catch-ups with friends and family – instead of dinner or lunch go for a walk, you’ll also save on money too!
10. Make your shopping count – going to the supermarket? Walk down every aisle and take an extra lap to boost your steps. Try to avoid the tempting biscuit, chip and chocolate aisles though as you don’t want to undo all your hard work.
It can sometimes feel daunting trying to fit in 10,000 steps a day but achieving this target can mean you’re burning a good chunk of your daily energy intake whilst also receiving all the positive benefits of walking. So what are you waiting for? Get moving!
For more active tips and advice click here.